Stories
West Hollywood Approved a Proposal to Remove Trump's Star From Hollywood Walk of Fame
Next Post

Press {{ keys }} + D to make this page bookmarked.

Close

West Hollywood Approved a Proposal to Remove Trump's Star From Hollywood Walk of Fame

569
Getty Images/PrtSc

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA — August 8, 2018

The city endorsed the West Hollywood’s five-member city council on Monday evening proposal by adopting it unanimously.

It now plans to send a formal letter to Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, the Los Angeles City Council and the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce for consideration. The Chamber of Commerce would have the final say in removing the star.

Among its most important provisions of the proposal, particular emphasis was listed in the president’s treatment of women and his views on climate change as catalysts.

"Similar to how certain members of the entertainment community have been removed from the Academy of Motion Pictures, due to their actions toward women, reflecting a stance on their values by the Academy, this is an opportunity for decision-makers to take a stand on their values in support of women and against disturbing treatment of women," the West Hollywood City Council said ahead of Monday’s vote.

The members also noted Trump’s policies, including a decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement, a ban on transgender military officers and the separation of families at the U.S. border with Mexico, and it was the main reasons for a proposal to remove.

Trump received a star on the Walk of Fame in 2007 for his work as producer of the Miss Universe Pageant. He was also co-owned the Miss Universe Organization, which also included the Miss USA and Miss Teen USA pageants, for nearly 20 years.

There have been campaigns to remove stars in the past, but it hasn’t happened in the Walk’s 40-year history.

Liberal hand-wringers pointed out that the new resolution said nothing about Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey and others accused of abusive sexual behavior whose stars remain intact. Conservatives alternately expressed disgust and rubbed their hands with glee at the sight of liberal west coasters doing exactly what conservatives always like to accuse them of doing -- seeking to censor, banish and remove material they find offensive despite their nominal adherence to free speech.

Activists in the #MeToo movement proposed removing a handful of stars last year – their targets included Trump, Spacey, Cosby and the director Brett Ratner.

Hollywood Chamber of Commerce CEO Leron Gubler knocked down a proposal to remove Bill Cosby’s star in 2015, saying, "Once a star has been added to the Walk, it is considered a part of the historic fabric of the Hollywood Walk of Fame."

“Because of this, we have never removed a star from the Walk,” he added.

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce released a statement after the Trump's star on Hollywood walk of fame destroyed with a pickaxe. A vandalism suspect identified as Austin Clay, 24, surrendered to Beverly Hills police shortly after the incident, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

Bond was set at $20,000, according to jail records. An initial court date was not indicated in jail records and it was not immediately clear whether he has an attorney.

It is expected that Robert DeNiro, Dolly Parton, Anne Hathaway among 2019's Hollywood Walk of Fame class.

Author: USA Really