News
Man Dies From “Brain-eating Amoeba” Infection After Visiting Texas Resort
Next Post

Press {{ keys }} + D to make this page bookmarked.

Close

Man Dies From “Brain-eating Amoeba” Infection After Visiting Texas Resort

628
wikipedia.org

TEXAS — October 1, 2018

A Central Texas surf resort was closed over the weekend when a swimmer in a wave pool died from being infected by Naegleria fowleri, an organism commonly known as a “brain-eating amoeba.”

The 29-year-old man died in New Jersey Friday after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri, according to a local Waco TV station. The reports say Fabrizio Stabile was in the water parks wave pool, but investigators are still investigating the source of the deadly organism.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is testing BSR Cable Park’s Surf Resort for Naegleria fowleri, which is a rare but highly deadly ameba organism called a “brain-eating amoeba” because the organisms consume astrocytes and neurons of the brain in human infestations. The amoeba, which normally dines on bacteria, usually infects humans through nasal ingestion of water.

The park’s owner, Stuart E. Parsons Jr. told reporters of his intention to assist investigators into the cause of Stabile’s death. The spokesperson for the McLennan County Health District, Kelly Crain said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention contacted the district about a patient suffering from a brain infection. 

Stabile’s obituary described the man as an avid fisherman and outdoorsman who loved surfing, and snowboarding. Parsons’ surf resort is a landlocked Texas surf resort, which operates an artificial man-made wave feature.

The surf resort is now closed pending the test results from the CDC. There is no word as to whether other surfers were infected by the deadly amoeba. People are usually infected when they dive or swim in warm freshwater. At least 40 people in the U.S. have died from ingesting the single-celled organism over the past decade.

In related news, tests performed last week by the Louisiana Department and of Health and Hospitals at the Sligo Water System proved positive for Naegleria fowleri.Officials there have ordered what is called a “chlorine burn,” where residual chlorine levels are maintained at safe but higher rates than normal over a period of days.

Author: USA Really