NY's 17-year Locusts Came Back from the Grave to Get a Little Payback
SYRACUSE, NEW YORK — June 4, 2018
The group of 17-years cicadas emerged near Syracuse for the first time since 2001.
This group of cicadas has one of the smallest ranges of any U.S. group, located in Onondaga Nation land just south of Syracuse. Earlier the locusts used to range in Western New York.
The bugs spend 17 years underground, then emerge over the course of a couple of weeks when the ground warms to about 64 degrees.
"They're everywhere," said Griffin Hill Farm Brewery manager Saul Kleinberg. "Somebody on social media suggested we brew a locust beer. I said we'll pass."
Onondaga Nation officials consider the periodic cicadas live underground in forests, feeding on tree roots. After 17 years, they emerge, shed their skins, lay eggs and die.
When the eggs hatch, the nymphs fall and burrow into the ground. Like other cicadas, the males emerging now will "sing" for a couple of weeks to attract their mates.
The cicadas hatching now are Brood VII. Most of the cicadas in New York belong to Brood II, which born in 2013.
The Government are calling for watching out for their bites. They can transmit a number of diseases including Lyme disease, anaplasmosis, babesiosis and tick paralysis.
Follow these simple rules and you will always be out of danger:
- Wear light colored clothing while entering tick habitats, it will be easier to notice ticks on your clothing;
- Tuck pants into socks and shirts into pants to prevent ticks from attaching to your skin;
- Tie hair up or wear a hat while entering a tick habitat;
- Tumble dry your clothes in a dryer on high heat for 10 minutes to kill ticks on dry clothing after you come indoors. Damp clothes may need more time;
- Hot water is recommended for washing clothes to kill ticks. Also you can tumble dry on low heat for 70 minutes or high heat for 40 minutes.
If you spend time outdoors:
- Use insect repellant containing DEET;
- Check for ticks on yourself, children, and pets upon returning from outdoors in tick-infested areas;
- Showering within two hours of coming indoors can also help wash off ticks and make finding crawling ticks easier.