16-Year-Old American Among 8 Foreign Jihadists Who Planned to Attack Civilians in Syria
U.S.-backed forces in Syria said they have captured eight foreign Islamic State fighters in the town of Hajin, including one American teen, days after announcing they had detained five others.
The Kurdish People’s Protection Units, or YPG, announced Wednesday they had captured U.S. citizen Soulay Noah Su, 16, who had been going by the alias Abu Souleiman al-Amriki, along with seven adults hailing from Germany, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kazakhistan in eastern Syria on Sunday and Monday.
“We know that the terrorists are planning attacks to slow down the progress of our forces by attacking civilians as a last resort. A group of terrorists of different nationalities that had been planning the mentioned attack were captured and put under long-term technical and physical surveillance by our relevant forces. Eight Daesh terrorists of American, Russian, Ukrainian, German, Kazakh, Tajik and Uzbek origin were captured during the operations carried out by our Special Operations Team on January 6th and 7th,” the statement said.
According to the New York Times, the boy is among five Americans who have been captured alive fighting for ISIS. Warren Christopher Clark, a former substitute teacher from Texas, was captured fighting for the Islamic extremist group on Sunday.
“While United States officials have estimated that 295 Americans either have joined or tried to join militant groups in Iraq and Syria, they have not said how many of those recruits successfully made it to the battle zone, nor which group they joined,” the paper said.
The Times said that al-Amriki is the first American minor to be caught fighting for ISIS, noting that a 15-year-old girl from Kansas was repatriated to the United States after being brought to the war zone by her father, forced into marriage with an ISIS member, and impregnated.
“We will be leaving at a proper pace while at the same time continuing to fight ISIS and doing all else that is prudent and necessary,” Trump tweeted Monday.
The Failing New York Times has knowingly written a very inaccurate story on my intentions on Syria. No different from my original statements, we will be leaving at a proper pace while at the same time continuing to fight ISIS and doing all else that is prudent and necessary!.....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 7, 2019
Thursday, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu stressed Turkey’s determination to carry out military operations against the YPG, saying his nation’s “anti-terror commitment” is not dependent on U.S. decisions.