The New York diocese has found a loophole in law with the help of which it wants to hide the details of numerous child molestation
The recently made effective the New York State Child Victims Act, allowing one year to report child sexual abuse, has given hope for justice for victims of sexual violence.
Due to the opportunity to sue the offenders, many victims uncovered the terrifying facts of molestation and abuse by the clergy of the New York Diocese. To date, almost 60 lawsuits are pending before the court and all of them concern previously unregistered pedophiles and rapists from the diocese in New York.
These lawsuits contain a lot of evidence against high-ranking people from the church, and accordingly can finally discredit the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester in the eyes of the people. Therefore, the leadership decided to seek to pre-empt and protect the still unsolved perverts and pedophiles, by declaring bankruptcy. This move will allow you not to disclose confidential information about priests convicted of sexual crimes against children.
On September 12, Bishop Salvatore R. Matano posted a video in which he announced the start of bankruptcy proceedings.
"We've come to the conclusion that we cannot minister to every victim that comes forward and help them out if we did not go this route," Bishop Salvatore Matano said during a news conference.
According to official information from lawyers for victims of violence, in New York more than 630 lawsuits were filed against the clergy, 59 of them specifically against the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester.
Many lawyers believe that this is a signal for all churches in the United States, as if in this way they can protect themselves from numerous lawsuits, but the truth will be revealed. The question is different: if all clergy hide their assets and hundreds of millions of dollars through bankruptcy, then thousands of victims will not receive compensation for crimes committed by priests.
"This legal tactic by the bishop is both disgusting at this point and disappointing because it's an attempt to take away the survivors' rights to a jury trial and also delay getting to the secrets that only the bishop and his top officials know about," said Mike Finnegan, of Jeff Anderson & Associates, according to yahoo.com.
Although lawyers claim that such vile actions will create problems for plaintiffs and dozens of prosecutors, they will ultimately not be able to save the church from paying hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation to victims.