Mother of man murdered 20 years ago says Detroit police just threw away her son's belongings
Next Post

Press {{ keys }} + D to make this page bookmarked.


Mother of man murdered 20 years ago says Detroit police just threw away her son's belongings


Quincy Walker was murdered in 2000 in Detroit. His mother, Brenda Walker, is still looking for the answers and wants closure. But the one question concerning her son’s belongings that were with him on the day of his death, made he suffer even more.

She says she remembers the day when police came to her house.

“Was your son dealing drugs?” one of the officers asked her.

“I said, 'Excuse me?' He said he had $300 in his pocket," Brenda recalls.

Officers also told her he had a ring, necklace, watch, two phones and a pager on him. Brenda wanted her son’s personal items back, but she was told they were being held as evidence. 

"I asked again when are you going to give me my son's belongings (and they said) we are working on it," Brenda said.

And only 20 years after, last month, an officer brought Brenda a box with Quincy’s stuff. But some items were obviously missing. There were some keys, half a pack of cigarettes, batteries and Quincy’s bloody coat and cap.

"I called the officer back and said you are missing his ring, his watch, his necklace and the $300, and other things I forgot about which were the phones.”

Brenda wishes she never received that unthinkable answer.

"They told me they had been auctioned off, I said how can you auction off my son’s things when nobody even told me about it and I have been asking for years for my son's belongings," she said. "How could you auction them off?"

Detroit police started looking into it further, according to Fox 2. And then the phone call from the police completely broke the heart of a desperate mother. She says Capt. Jonathan Parnell rang her up to tell that the other items of her son’s belongings had been simply thrown away years ago. Among those things police say they had only a gold ring, Quincy’s phones and $100.

According to Detroit police it was a department’s casual practice in the early 2000s, to get rid of items or evidences that are no longer needed. In 2003 that cash was deposited to be eventually returned to the family in the form of a check. But! That never happened.

This practice stopped existing only in 2016 when the police chief James Craig changed the police. Since then the evidences are held indefinitely.   

"I am trying to figure out how many parents go through this with their items from loved ones taken from them and not given back," Brenda added. "Those were keepsakes for me. I don't have anything of my sons except pictures here and there."

Author: Usa Really