10 people charged for violating the ban on mass gatherings including a 99-year-old
While the coronavirus pandemic hits New York City and the surrounding states with terrible force, law enforcement still has to break up parties. One of the last was an engagement in a Jewish family attended by children and a 99-year-old man.
Despite the ban on the organization of any parties and public events, which was officially announced by the Governor of New Jersey on March 21, ten were indicted.
The incident occurred on Tuesday in the city of Lakewood. Earlier in this city, more than 70 cases of the disease were detected. According to official statistics, more than 700 people became infected with coronavirus throughout the county and almost 19 thousand people across the state.
Obviously, religion has always stood in the way of common sense.
"Lakewood police have been forced to break up several weddings, and recently, a bat mitzvah. On Tuesday authorities also discovered a gathering of 35 people at a religious school, according to the prosecutor’s office. Two people were charged in that incident," reported NY Daily News.
Since such violations have already become regular, the Mayor of New York announced that if Jewish communities do not stop organizing meetings and close for a pandemic, then authorities will close them forever.
"I want to say to all those who are preparing for the potential of religious services this weekend, if you go to your synagogue, if you go to your church, and attempt to hold services after having been told so often not to, our enforcement agents will have no choice but to shut down those services," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said, according to The Jerusalem Post.