A cop who tried to arrest protesters in Las Vegas is completely paralyzed: Suspect who shot in custody
The riots and violent protests in Las Vegas that took place earlier this month left one of the officers paralyzed below his head. The man who allegedly shot the crowd was detained and is trying to confuse the investigation.
Sharing with permission from Officer Mikalonis’s family. Since so many of our community is supporting Shay we wanted to provide an update as of June 12th, after the fundraiser held for him. He feels your prayers and positive thoughts. #PrayforShay pic.twitter.com/rpwaxMTCui— LVMPD Dispatch (@lvmpd_dispatch) June 13, 2020
At the moment, the main suspect is 20-year-old Edgar Samaniego. According to court documents and evidence found, Samaniego passed the crowd, as he himself said, fired one shot.
“He is charged with attempted murder, battery and firearms charges and is being held in lieu of $1 million. An appointed public defender, Scott Coffee, said after the hearing that Samaniego will plead not guilty. Samaniego also is being held without bail on accusations that he violated the terms of release on separate misdemeanor driving under the influence and illegal drug possession charges,” reports HotAir.
According to the investigation, the suspect changed his testimony several times. For the first time, Samaniego reported having fired a warning shot in order to scare the crowd. He later stated that he had poor eyesight and did not see if his bullet hit a person.
When asked about the whereabouts of the gun, Samaniego said that he did not know where it was now. His words turned out to be a lie when the police ransacked the suspect’s housing and identified a pistol under the mattress.
At the moment, the results of the ballistic examination are unknown.