The Washington Post had to change headlines after finding out that FBI raid on controversial conspiracy theorist was fake
The Washington Post and other news outlets reported on a FBI raid of conservative conspiracy theorist Jack Burkman later to find out that the raid was fake and staged with the participation of hired actors.
The Post changed the headlines about the FBI raid after another news outlet published an interview with an actor who said that he and other actors had been paid to portray FBI agents to film a series of scenes at Burkman’s property in Arlington, Virginia. The actor said that the one who hired them was Burkman himself.
This was the scene outside the home of conspiracy theorist Jack Burkman this morning pic.twitter.com/tSNLDaFwTr— Kevin willoughby (@wheels616) September 14, 2020
NEW: Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman faked an FBI raid at Burkman's home this morning. We talked to one of the actors they recruited to play an FBI agent for what he was told was a TV pilot https://t.co/xQrpE2PStJ— Lachlan Markay (@lachlan) September 14, 2020
FBI says no raid was conducted at home of conservative conspiracy theorist Jack Burkman https://t.co/BCSehRum43— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) September 14, 2020
The actor whose name is Tommy Abraham told the reporters that he found an ad offering to play an FBI agent on a Craigslist and responded to it. He was promised to get $400. To prove the fakeness of the raid the actor showed the emails between himself and the employer, who turned out to be Burkman’s partner, Jacob Wohl but via the emails he pretended to be somebody else.
“The FBI Washington Field Office was not present at the specified location for law enforcement activity,” a spokesperson told The Washingtonian.
Here are some screenshots of the Washington Post's apparently now-debunked Jack Burkman story pic.twitter.com/fI7F7RaGts— Andrew Beaujon (@abeaujon) September 14, 2020
The Post has added an editor’s note saying the raid "likely was staged” https://t.co/3zQbu7sLu8— Andrew Beaujon (@abeaujon) September 14, 2020
Editor’s note now reads: "After initial publication of this story, additional reporting indicates that the raid was staged.” pic.twitter.com/k3ry31UJFG— Andrew Beaujon (@abeaujon) September 14, 2020
Wohl claimed the agency took all of Burkman’s “files, computers and phones,” while Burkman claimed that the FBI raid was motivated by his independent investigation over former Pentagon chief James Mattis. Burkman often announces investigations into people he perceives as opponents to the president.
The Washington Post got tricked by Jacob Wohl. This should be their last day in business. Embarrassment of this level doesn’t wash off.— Robby Starbuck (@robbystarbuck) September 14, 2020
Meanwhile, the FBI also denied that the raid should have ever taken place forcing the Washington Post change headlined multiple times, saying that there were no law enforcment agents at the conspirer at the moment of the staged raid. The latest upgrade said, “FBI says no raid was conducted at home of conservative conspiracy theorist Jack Burkman.”