Texas family of 11-year-old boy who died of hypothermia will sue the State's energy companies for $100 million
A Texas family whose 11-year-old son died supposedly of hypothermia will file a lawsuit against the State’s energy company for negligence.
11-year-old Cristian Pineda was found dead in his bed inside a mobile home that was out of power amid the energy collapse after the winter storm started the last week.
The Pineda family filed a lawsuit against Entergy Texas and Electric Reliability Council of Texas. The family will be represented by Houston Attorney Tony Buzbee. He said the family believe their son died of hypothermia because of the subfreezing cold snap.
According to the lawsuit, the energy companies failed to guard the energy grid before the storm and didn’t warn the possible consequences of the upcoming snow storm.
“Common sense tells you the weather played a part in his death,” Buzbee told Click2Houston. “His mother is very adamant, clear that he had no underlying conditions whatsoever that would make him particularly vulnerable to cold weather.”
The lawsuit says that the temperature inside the room of the family’s mobile home was around 10 degrees. Cristian’s mother and stepfather were sleeping in one bed with their baby boy, while Cristian and his younger brother in another bed.
When the family woke up the next morning they found Cristian unconscious in his bed.
The medical examiners haven’t determined the real cause of the boy’s death but said a carbon monoxide test in the home came back negative.
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of life in our community,” Entergy said in a statement to. “We are unable to comment due to pending litigation.”