More Than 350 People Fall Ill From Chipotle, Ohio Officials Say
Next Post

Press {{ keys }} + D to make this page bookmarked.


More Than 350 People Fall Ill From Chipotle, Ohio Officials Say


COLUMBUS, OHIO — August 2, 2018

The Ohio health department has received more than 350 inquiries from people possibly poisoned from a eating at Chipotle. People complained of symptoms ranging from nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea after eating at the restaurant between Thursday and Monday.

This restaurant first came under scrutiny after a food poisoning outbreak in 2015.

Delaware County health officials said they are investigating the potential illness outbreak that may be linked to a Chipotle in Powell, but have not pinpointed the source of the problem. Results from the test are pending.

According to health officials, the number of people who have reported getting ill at the restaurant has jumped to 368.

"People reporting getting sick say they ate at the Sawmill Parkway location over the weekend," a statement from the Delaware County Health Department reads.

The restaurant was shut down on Monday after an investigation was launched, but it's expected to reopen Tuesday afternoon.

"Our protocols identified a handful of illness reports at one restaurant in Powell. ... We acted quickly and closed this single restaurant out of an abundance of caution and we are working with the local health officials to reopen this restaurant as soon as possible," said Laurie Schalow, a spokeswoman for Chipotle.

On Thursday a  Chipotle representative said that key sales figures had risen beyond market expectations in the second quarter, helped by higher menu prices that offset a drop in the number of diners visiting.

No sooner had Chipotle started to recover from the crisis of a drop in the number of diners eating at the chain than the new incidents of food poisoning began to emerge.

Earlier this year, the burrito chain hired former Taco Bell CEO Brian Niccol as its chief executive, and then brought in another former Taco Bell executive, Chris Brandt, as its chief marketing officer.

An outbreak of E. coli hit the Chipotle chain in 2015, resulting in numerous customers getting sick at locations across 11 states.

That crisis prompted Chipotle officials to close 2,000 locations in February 2016 to conduct an employee food-safety training program.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials warned people about the danger of buying food in fast food or in the street.

"Foodborne illnesses increase during the summer months, making it even more important to follow food safety steps. Sometimes the usual safety controls that a kitchen provides, like monitoring of food temperatures, refrigeration, workers trained in food safety and washing facilities may not be available when cooking and dining at fairs and festivals," the statement said.

Author: USA Really