Pelosi thanks Floyd for being murdered
As soon as Derek Chauvin's guilty verdict was announced, Nancy Pelosi thanked George Floyd for being murdered.
“Thank you George Floyd for sacrificing your life for justice,” Pelosi said.
Speaker Pelosi at the Congressional Black Caucus presser after Chauvin verdict:— The Recount (@therecount) April 20, 2021
“Thank you George Floyd for sacrificing your life for justice.” pic.twitter.com/JfapSsKdtX
Pelosi later supplemented her speech with a tweet promoting the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act:
- Improving the use of force standard for federal officers so that force may be used only when absolutely necessary, banning the use of chokeholds and other neck restraints, and requiring officers to intervene when other officers use excessive force;
- Empowering state officials to investigate and intervene when local police have a pattern or practice of abuse and discrimination under federal law, making it easier to prosecute and sue law enforcement who injure and kill civilians, and improving data on which agencies and which officers have a troubling history;
- Pressuring state and local officials to update their laws and policies, by threatening to withhold federal grants if our in-state leaders continue to sit on their hands;
- Limiting military-style equipment in local hands, working to ensure officers have body-worn cameras, and increasing training on de-escalation, implicit bias, and procedural justice; and
- Adding a new lynching offense to the criminal code, targeting white supremacist violence.
George Floyd should be alive today. His family’s calls for justice for his murder were heard around the world. He did not die in vain. We must make sure other families don't suffer the same racism, violence & pain, and we must enact the George Floyd #JusticeInPolicing Act. https://t.co/tWln9NRg1g— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) April 20, 2021
Derek Chauvin was found guilty on three counts and faces up to 75 years in prison.
Image: Tom Williams - Pool via CNP / Global Look Press